As a skilled person, how would you manage an apprentice that cannot pick up the skill after three years?

IB D

Well Known
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.290
An apprentice has been with you for three good years and you have been teaching him the skill. After three years, he still can't do basic things in that skill. How would you handle it? Would you tell him to leave?

AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.015
Raw Dex
$4.191
It will not take three years for the apprentice to learn something from me. If he cannot cope up and learn the soft skills for about three months, he or she failed the internship program.

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.050
Three years is such a long time to allow such a employee to continue to stay in the organization. If employee can not learn the basic skills in three months, he is unfit for the work. Three months is okay for anybody to learn fundamental skills in the workplace.

IB D

Well Known
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.290
Three years is such a long time to allow such a employee to continue to stay in the organization. If employee can not learn the basic skills in three months, he is unfit for the work. Three months is okay for anybody to learn fundamental skills in the workplace.
I am not talking about an employee, what I am talking about is an apprentice that wants to learn a skill like photography, tailoring, auto mechanic. He has paid you to teach him the skill. Three years down, he is not grabbed the skill to stay on his or her own.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$1.130
Raw Dex
$9.645
If after three years the person is still not able to learn anything then is either there is something wrong with my method of teaching or the so called apprentice have other things in mind. I would simply try that same method on another person, if it works then the fault is not from me.

IB D

Well Known
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.290
If after three years the person is still not able to learn anything then is either there is something wrong with my method of teaching or the so called apprentice have other things in mind. I would simply try that same method on another person, if it works then the fault is not from me.
At that point, would you free the apprentice to go and try his luck elsewhere or you would keep on teaching him with hope that he would grab one day.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
An apprentice has been with you for three good years and you have been teaching him the skill. After three years, he still can't do basic things in that skill. How would you handle it? Would you tell him to leave?

I don't think that anyone who is well dedicated into learning a particular work or skill would be struggling to master the skill in 3 years. If it's the reality, then the person is never serious about learning the skill. I would let him or her go and stop wasting my time.

IB D

Well Known
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.290
I don't think that anyone who is well dedicated into learning a particular work or skill would be struggling to master the skill in 3 years. If it's the reality, then the person is never serious about learning the skill. I would let him or her go and stop wasting my time.
That could be the best thing to do in the situation. I have actually seen a person that learnt tailoring for 5 years. I think most of them were forced to go learn the skill.

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.015
Raw Dex
$4.191
Six months are more than for the apprentice to have grasped almost everything being involved in the work.
It is a normal probationary period in some companies in my country. Although it also depends on company's discretion if they can promote or hire an employee to work with them regularly.

Back