Do Business Owners Retire?

Golden9

Notable
Sep 6, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.325
Most organizations have a set limit for how long their staff can work, especially in government establishments. Some people only retire though because it's necessary.

What of those who run their own businesses without external control? Is it possible to retire?

AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Yes! They do retire when they feel they are not physically able to cope with the physical requirements of the business. He can handover the business to anyone he feels can run the business. The owner can still sit on the board.

Suba

Notable
Nov 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.585
Running your own business also needs to arrange when it's time to retire or leave their business, but in general they will train their children who have completed business studies at university, so that the business will grow and become bigger, incidents like this happen a lot in my country, especially for biscuit companies and cigarettes.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.078
Most organizations have a set limit for how long their staff can work, especially in government establishments. Some people only retire though because it's necessary.

What of those who run their own businesses without external control? Is it possible to retire?
There are a lot of business owners who retire and give their children the business because they are very old to work

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$2.258
Yes some of them do retire, they might decide to pass on the business to their children so the child would help them run the business why they are either relaxing at home or traveling.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
At 45, I plan to retire from active running of my business so that I can take care of myself after pummeling a major part of my life to build a sustain business. I would just sit on the board and play advisory role.

oldbuddy

Notable
Sep 13, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Absolutely, I felt I had as much right to take my Social Security as anyone else and I retired at age 62 and turned the company over to one of my loyal employees.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Absolutely, I felt I had as much right to take my Social Security as anyone else and I retired at age 62 and turned the company over to one of my loyal employees.
Do you mean you handed the business over for him to own or manage? Because I am wondering how you would build a business and hand over for another to own.

oldbuddy

Notable
Sep 13, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Do you mean you handed the business over for him to own or manage? Because I am wondering how you would build a business and hand over for another to own.
Yes I handed the business over to him to own and he has made profits that he lived on for the last 22 years. What you don't understand is all the time I was the owner and he was an employee, his efforts contributed to the success the business had by building our reputation for quality work and improving the product to increase sales for both of us.

Suba

Notable
Nov 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.585
Yes I handed the business over to him to own and he has made profits that he lived on for the last 22 years. What you don't understand is all the time I was the owner and he was an employee, his efforts contributed to the success the business had by building our reputation for quality work and improving the product to increase sales for both of us.
Very good experience, whether you as an onwer leave all decision making to employees, or only part of it, how do you monitor or control the company. Do you also receive a fixed salary or only a percentage of net income.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$3.250
Raw Dex
$0.035
Yeah I don't think so.i think the family members do take his or her role if retiring to do the business. If it can be passed on to a new generation

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
That is very noble of you. In my country, they would have handed the business down to their children regardless of the contribution of any staff in the business. After all, they were being paid for their work. I salute your ingenuity.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$1.000
Raw Dex
$0.005
Normally, a business owner will run his/her business as long as s(he) is physically fit. When s(he) would like to retire, s(he) can pass the business to his/her children and continue to be a board member to play an advisory to role. If his/her children are not interested in taking up the business, s(he) can sell the business and make good money to enjoy retirement life.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$3.250
Raw Dex
$0.035
They don't even need to retire you just continue still when you are tired you just bring in someone to manage for you, you just run the business from the background

IB D

Well Known
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Business is rigorous and there is a point it gets to where someone can't stand the rigours of business. For some people, it might come earlier and it might come later for some. But when it come, you need to handover to a trusted person. N

Back