Facts: Western Business Culture

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.055
Raw Dex
$1.093
For first meetings, there are both appropriate and inappropriate questions in Western business culture. Most Westerners dislike being asked particularly intimate questions about their relationships, finances, politics, or religion. Many Westerners converse informally instead. This indicates that they avoid discussing sensitive topics. They might discuss sports, hobbies, or the weather. Therefore, we must be considerate of the queries that should be raised with western clients.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$2.888
In many places it is abit awkward to actually start asking intimate questions during the first meeting. It would be better to first get to know them first so they can be at ease.

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It is not only in western world alone. In Africa generally and Nigeria in particular, it is not everybody that likes to discuss bhis private affairs in the public. They only engage in formal discussions with you and the moment the subject is being digressed into unofficial topics,, they stop the discussion.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$4.300
Raw Dex
$0.008
I would avoid discussing topics such as religion, politics with business associates or customers. We usually talk about the economy, hobbies, traveling experience, sports and weather. I have encountered someone from China asking my age when we first met. I found that odd.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.130
Another important western business culture is individualism. This is predicated on personal business interest. A westerner holds dear his personal business interest and expects you to appeal to it for the business to flow well.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.078
In many places it is abit awkward to actually start asking intimate questions during the first meeting. It would be better to first get to know them first so they can be at ease.
It does not make sense. I also will not like it when they are already asking me some personal questions either in an interview or in a meeting. It is not very nice

aovurevu

Somewhat Known
May 4, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.070
For first meetings, there are both appropriate and inappropriate questions in Western business culture. Most Westerners dislike being asked particularly intimate questions about their relationships, finances, politics, or religion. Many Westerners converse informally instead. This indicates that they avoid discussing sensitive topics. They might discuss sports, hobbies, or the weather. Therefore, we must be considerate of the queries that should be raised with western clients.
Not only in western cultures, most people do not like sharing sensitive information about them which may include their personal details to strangers especially when just meeting for the first time.

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.055
Raw Dex
$1.093
Not only in western cultures, most people do not like sharing sensitive information about them which may include their personal details to strangers especially when just meeting for the first time.
Indeed. Although we cannot generalize that people cannot open up with sensitive or personal information. If a person is good at speaking, he or she can initiate trust and can let others talk smoothly.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$4.660
Raw Dex
$0.000
Yes we would need to avoid discussing topics that are not needed with foreign clients. Topics bordering on religion, politics with business associates or customers. should be avoided to avoid confusion

capri

Somewhat Known
Jun 12, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I also read somewhere that persons from western cultures consider it rude for a person not to maintain eye contact when speaking.
This notion is starkly different from that of Asian cultures such as the Chinese. To the Chinese, it is offensive for someone to look at you in the eyes when speaking to you.

Back