How to deal with unprofessional employees?

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Someone once said to me, that in his place there are employees who are less professional. He works at his boss's snack shop, but he also stocks his own goods, which he buys from the same supplier as the boss. He puts his goods in front of his boss's shop, when someone buys him he serves by selling his own goods, even though he is during working hours.

He said he wanted to fire him as an employee, but felt sorry for him because he was still related to him. What do you think is the solution for dealing with unprofessional employees like this?

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.018
You can counsel the person by letting them know how unprofessional they have been or are becoming. I think this is just an attitudinal problem and can be corrected with counseling.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
You can counsel the person by letting them know how unprofessional they have been or are becoming. I think this is just an attitudinal problem and can be corrected with counseling.

He said that he had been advised that it also did not produce results, the type of worker who was greedy and had strong ambitions for wealth. He likes to flaunt something extravagant to appear prestigious.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
There is no way you can expect professionalism from a relative. As it is a relative, you need to be very careful how you go about it. A one on One heart to heart talk is necessary.

fcbetting

Notable
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$0.180
What did you describe is unprofessional. It is against law and both can get big fine. You can't sell products which are not part of store invertory in same work place.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
There is no way you can expect professionalism from a relative. As it is a relative, you need to be very careful how you go about it. A one on One heart to heart talk is necessary.

That's right, it's difficult to expect professionalism from workers who are still relatives. Sometimes they behave arbitrarily with other employees, just because they still have blood relations with the boss.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
That's right, it's difficult to expect professionalism from workers who are still relatives. Sometimes they behave arbitrarily with other employees, just because they still have blood relations with the boss.
And the slightest measure you take to enforce tye professionalism would be considered as unwillingness to help family. I avoid employing family relatives entirely in my business.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
And the slightest measure you take to enforce tye professionalism would be considered as unwillingness to help family. I avoid employing family relatives entirely in my business.

That's right, it's better not to employ employees from the family or relatives. But sometimes if we are looking for other employees besides relatives, our bad things are also discussed behind our backs.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$3.180
Raw Dex
$0.008
I think this is not just a matter of professionalism. It is simply unethical to sell your own goods at your shop of your boss. If I were the boss, I will let him know I cannot accept this kind of behavior. He has to stop doing it or leave the shop.

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$3.000
Raw Dex
$0.675
That's so unethical, he's not using his commonsense. He better resign then concentrate on the business he's passionate about than using his work time where he is paid no delicadeza. It's best to call the attention of that employee.

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$3.000
Raw Dex
$0.675
What did you describe is unprofessional. It is against law and both can get big fine. You can't sell products which are not part of store invertory in same work place.
Agree that's a ground for dismissal doing personal businesses in the work place where they're paid. That's an administrative case. Better they were not caught and nobody was brave enough to report.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.243
If you have an employee that is not being professional, i think the best thing is to sack them if they are affecting your business negatively, or you could simply punish them.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.018
Sometimes I don't know why family members or relative's are always this way. it is way difficult to expect professionalism from them as they are still your relatives. I prefer working with strangers

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I think you can proceed on firing that person. You then provide the full information about him to the family about Why have taken the decision to sacking them for sure.

But it's not that easy, if I fire him because there is still a family relationship, it will cause new problems. For example I will be ostracized in the family circle, or maybe an even bigger nuisance.

Sophie

Unfamiliar
Apr 28, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Well it all depends even employees that were once professional can later become unprofessional either because of overconfidence or lack of job satisfaction
I would advice that such employee be given worrying letter on good conduct so as to properly behave

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Well it all depends even employees that were once professional can later become unprofessional either because of overconfidence or lack of job satisfaction
I would advice that such employee be given worrying letter on good conduct so as to properly behave

That's right, professional employees can also change over time, sometimes for reasons that don't make sense. It's like feeling a blood relation with the boss, so he feels safe from being fired, and working as he pleases.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020

There is a saying that you can force a horse to the season but you cannot force the horse to drink water which is why I don't waste time with such employees and I will have them removed from their duties

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
There is a saying that you can force a horse to the season but you cannot force the horse to drink water which is why I don't waste time with such employees and I will have them removed from their duties

I think that firing employees who are still related can lead to new problems, especially if they hold grudges, they may commit reckless actions that are dangerous, such as killing, setting fire to their business premises/houses, etc.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.620
I think that firing employees who are still related can lead to new problems, especially if they hold grudges, they may commit reckless actions that are dangerous, such as killing, setting fire to their business premises/houses, etc.
That is why helping a family member doesn't have to be that person working for you. It can generate hatred if you want to take disciplinary measures against a family member in the workplace.

Back