Major challenges in selling handmade items

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.188
For does who have skills in making various items, while this is a lucrative skill that can be used anywhere and can also be sold offline and online, one major challenge is standing out from the crowd. The competition in this field is usually high, so your ability to stand out makes things a lot easier.

AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.494
If your hand made products are from good quality materials there's no prejudice people may not hesitate to buy even by volume, but if your handmade products look poorly, no one will be ignited to buy.

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$5.000
Raw Dex
$0.845
I have a personal experience with it. I get orders for my artwork and my daughter's crochet work. Though we have not launched it into a business as such, we get orders through word of mouth. But that's enough for the time that we have.
The greatest challenge is when people undermine the efforts that's gone in the work and start negotiating the price. Glad that most of my clients are once who appreciate handwork and are happy to get the quality product at a price that it actually deserves.

AmazingJob

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.760
I agree, it is difficult to stand out from the crowd. If the competition is a known artist or maker. Is the product saleable? Is the product affordable? Those questions came to mind when my brother posted his handmade products online.

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$5.000
Raw Dex
$0.845
If your hand made products are from good quality materials there's no prejudice people may not hesitate to buy even by volume, but if your handmade products look poorly, no one will be ignited to buy.
I totally agree there. The quality of the product and the finish should not be compromised. Always place yourself in the shoes of the buyer and think.. Would you like to buy this product for the price ?

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.188
I have a personal experience with it. I get orders for my artwork and my daughter's crochet work. Though we have not launched it into a business as such, we get orders through word of mouth. But that's enough for the time that we have.
The greatest challenge is when people undermine the efforts that's gone in the work and start negotiating the price. Glad that most of my clients are once who appreciate handwork and are happy to get the quality product at a price that it actually deserves.
That's pretty awesome though, by the time you decide to launch it as a business of it's own, by then you should have already gotten a strong customer base so things will be a lot easier for you.

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.494
I totally agree there. The quality of the product and the finish should not be compromised. Always place yourself in the shoes of the buyer and think.. Would you like to buy this product for the price ?
That is right, the local entrepreneurs should do their work religiously to profit. If the materials used are of good quality despite being local and the designs too are awesome, then people will be happy to choose and buy.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.188
That is right, the local entrepreneurs should do their work religiously to profit. If the materials used are of good quality despite being local and the designs too are awesome, then people will be happy to choose and buy.
This is the major issue we have over here, most of our persons tend to make use of inferior materials, and the worse part they would lie to their clients that it's original and sell to them. One thing that is trending recently now over here, local factories are now making well known products like coca cola and other things then sell them as if it's the actual product.

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.494
This is the major issue we have over here, most of our persons tend to make use of inferior materials, and the worse part they would lie to their clients that it's original and sell to them. One thing that is trending recently now over here, local factories are now making well known products like coca cola and other things then sell them as if it's the actual product.
Nah, it will never happen here in my country, people are smart if they sense the products are illegal and If they find it fake, the sellers will be banned from selling forever. The local prices here are durable and presentable and they last for years. They are a little bit pricy.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.188
Nah, it will never happen here in my country, people are smart if they sense the products are illegal and If they find it fake, the sellers will be banned from selling forever. The local prices here are durable and presentable and they last for years. They are a little bit pricy.
As at late last year though the police was able to fish out some local factories, even the places they use is not even standard enough to produce something anyone should consume. The places they found has been short down, and they are urging these well known brands to enlighten people on how to know their original products.

AmazingJob

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.760
Maybe this comment is not related to handmade products but will point out being authentic. Do you know that there is a place in the Manila area that can fake documents. Lots of people know it and sometimes they make joke about it. Like when someone got an award, they will jokingly check the medal or trophy if it is really real or fake. Only in Recto.

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.494
Maybe this comment is not related to handmade products but will point out being authentic. Do you know that there is a place in the Manila area that can fake documents. Lots of people know it and sometimes they make joke about it. Like when someone got an award, they will jokingly check the medal or trophy if it is really real or fake. Only in Recto.
It is not anymore happening here in the city where I live because of the detector if the documents submitted are fake or not. It is also not good to do that, Time comes they will be caught and shame will be on their face.

AmazingJob

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.760
I am not sure if it is still an ongoing activity in the part of Manila. But I hope they will stop doing it because it is not right to sell fake documents. Or should I say, people should stop going to areas like this. Because if they do, businesses in the said area will close because no one will take their service .

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.494
In the past, I learned from my brother who was the head of security in MORESCO that four applicants were faking their diplomas as college level applicants but when they were interviewed about the head of the college, they were not able to answer,lol.

SHAHID987

Notable
Nov 15, 2022
Dex
$2.925
Raw Dex
$0.013
Main challenge remain as to maintain quality of the item. As I started preparing hand made low energy consumption small fans. And my major focus was to maintain its quality or try my best to improve it.

AmazingJob

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.760
In the past, I learned from my brother who was the head of security in MORESCO that four applicants were faking their diplomas as college level applicants but when they were interviewed about the head of the college, they were not able to answer,lol.
People doing it won't be successful because they will be caught. Yes, they may pass one level of application, but how about the next level. See what happed to the four applicants. Instead of saying their possible skill, they decided to cheat.

Stardom22

Very Familiar
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$6.000
Raw Dex
$0.452
The most challenging factor in this kind of business is that there is likely to be little or no market at all for that kind of business as most people would just hand make those items on their own.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.443
One problem is making handmade products that look poor, no one will be buy such. You only make sales from good quality materials hand made items. You need to be skilled too.

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.494
Handmade products must be done by skilled people if intend to have it as their business. No one buys handmade products like bags if the materials used are not good and the design too must be decent.

nomad

Very Familiar
Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I think the major challenges of selling handmade items is related to reaching your true customers. If you cannot reach to your customers, you cannot sell. You need marketing skills.

Back