Why are some cities more expensive than others?

AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Shortie

Notable
Writers Guild
Dec 29, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.445
I often ask myself the same question, for example in England, you have London and everyone always says that is one of the most expensive places to not only live but also shop in but take yourself to another city such as maybe Birmingham and it may not be quite as much. I never understood why it costs more in one city than some others as you would think that the reason would be because they are a city if one is very expensive and the other isn't that can not be a valid reason.

Suba

Notable
Nov 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.585
There are several benchmarks that you can use to differentiate the cost of living in one city to another, such as the price of land, the higher the price of land, the more expensive the cost of living, the minimum wage level determined by the government for each different area also determines the cost of living.

SHAHID987

Notable
Nov 15, 2022
Dex
$2.855
Raw Dex
$0.073
Some cities are more expensive than others, there are a lot of reasons, the cost of living in some cities are very higher as compared to others like in my country living in Karachi city is very cheap as compared to living in Islamabad because prices of goods are very high in Islamabad mostly rich people live there and the people those belongs with the government live there.

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.015
Raw Dex
$4.191
The cost of living differs this concern. It is given that most cities' cost of living is expensive as compared to places in the countryside.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$1.130
Raw Dex
$9.645
The living standards is the difference. Like you cannot compare the cost of living in the city of Abuja to that of Delta state. This is cause the standard of living in Abuja is high due to the high number of well known figures living in that state and also cause it is the federal capital.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$6.293
Raw Dex
$0.050
There are many things which happens and the main thing is the demographic region of that place. If a place is far away from the suppliers of the things then, of course, that thing is priced high for that place because of the transportation cost and labour costs. Also, other things like the cost of land, and demand are the reasons for high prices.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
Two cities, same country, same economy. But one city is more expensive than the other. What are the causes if it?
I believe that they have to do with the class of people that are living in that city which will make the city to be more expensive as a result of the kind of social amenities that are available in that city when compared to the other cities in the same country.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
I think it has to do more with development than anything else. The more developed a place is, the higher the population and the higher the demand for things. So the cost would surely go very high.

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.050
There are a lot of factors that may be responsible. Some of the factors including
Proximity to seaport
Availability of natural resources
Government set of power
Availability of social amenities
Availability of business opportunities
conducive environment
The above listed conditions may make a city more prosperous and rich than most other cities.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
I am still wondering how this things work. I went to one city and a certain amount could not feed me satisfactorily. And I went to another city, half of that amount fed me and I couldn't walk well because my stomach was too full.

Back