Why don't we have credit cards in Africa?

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
The only cards we have in Africa are debit cards. I don't think there is any sub-saharan African country that uses a debit card for transactions.

Why is it so? What do we do to have credit cards in Africa?

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
The level of poverty and government mismanagement of fund is partly the cause. In fact about 70% of Africans are poor and are not credit worthy. Where government owns salaries and use executive power to override standing modus operandi of social and financial institutions. In most African countries, government can not be trusted to keep to their word.

Edulady

Notable
Jul 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I differ very much with your statement. Botswana has credit cards and south Africa has credit cards. Both the debit card and credit card have no limits interms of usage.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.523
For Nigeria we do not have the system to run credit cards right now, and the risk involved is just too much for now. Some persons might take up debts they may not be able to pay back.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
We need to upgrade our ICT infrastructure to be able to have a credit card system. We don't even have a database of people in a country and so the credit card system would not work.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
The simple things as inter bank transfers can't be stabilized in our Nigeria. Then you talk about credit cards. They would debit you without refunds for a month.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
The only cards we have in Africa are debit cards. I don't think there is any sub-saharan African country that uses a debit card for transactions.

Why is it so? What do we do to have credit cards in Africa?
I have always thought about this but I could not even come to a final conclusion.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.995
I thought we had some credit cards. I was not aware of this. So does it mean that the so called visa and master cards are only debit cards. It's the time for the African countries to look into this matter.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Visa cards and master cards are just debit cards and cannot be used to get credit card purchases. You must have money on those accounts to be able to use them unlike how credit cards work.

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$2.000
Raw Dex
$0.303
In my book, the country needs to be progressive in terms of having this option. in time, they can use debit and credit cards
I have a credit card but I surrendered after the interest reaches heaven. The interest doubles after every two years so crucial because of the compounding interest. I may apply a new credit card at Union Bank or BDO. I have to to be careful not to overspend.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Credit cards can be terrible if you don't have discipline. You might end up incurring huge debts for your lifetime. I always advocate that credit cards be used only when it is absolutely necessary.

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Credit cards are not available in Africa, especially Nigeria because of our corruptional attitudes. Any new innovation brought into Africa would be abused. Even the credit cards available here are easily abused. Many debit cards are used for frauding.
Credit card is just like a loan card you can use to make transactions with the expectations that you would pay back the issuing houses. If such opportunity is available here in Africa, many issuing houses would run into indebtedness.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
Credit cards are not available in Africa, especially Nigeria because of our corruptional attitudes. Any new innovation brought into Africa would be abused. Even the credit cards available here are easily abused. Many debit cards are used for frauding.
Credit card is just like a loan card you can use to make transactions with the expectations that you would pay back the issuing houses. If such opportunity is available here in Africa, many issuing houses would run into indebtedness.
Do you know that people just apply and obtain loans from all these loan apps with no intention of paying back at all. That attitude is very bad.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.523
Maybe the banks and financial institutions are afraid of banking frauds therefore they do not offer credit cards.
Nigeria actually has a credit card system but the truth of the matter is that it is not really common. It is only around three percent that have access to these credit cards. And there are also some requirements needed before you can own one.

Back