Does a landlord have the right to increase rents as he deems fit.

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Sir, you and I know that this is only on paper. Nigerian landlors don't give pre rental contracts. They can decide to increase rent at anytime.
In Indonesia they can decide to increase rent with unreasonable price to kick you out of their place (in this case they dont like you). If you can manage good relationship with the landlords, we can get the same price every year without increase, i experience this, i got the same price for 3 years. So, different country different culture and different rules.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I don't know if there is a law against it. But I believe that since he owns the house , he can do so any time he wish
One thing I have come to discover is that tenancy laws favour the tenant more. In my country, it is hard to evict a tenant. The court favours tenant.

nomad

Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.130
Raw Dex
$0.390
This depends on the terms and conditions while renting. In absence of a written contract, it can be very difficult to cope with a situation like this.

Golden9

Notable
Sep 6, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.410
A tenant should be notified of an increase in rent before the termination of a new contract and renewal of another. There are no bodies that regulate the affairs of landlords, hence they can increase the rent as they wish.

Enxx

Notable
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
One thing I have come to discover is that tenancy laws favour the tenant more. In my country, it is hard to evict a tenant. The court favours tenant.
I also know of something that even if the landlord wants to evict the tenant, he will give him some time before be can pack out

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I also know of something that even if the landlord wants to evict the tenant, he will give him some time before be can pack out
Some landlord are nice and kind like this but some of them NOT, so according to my experience i will move out before my last day, and i find new place a month earlier so i dont have to rush.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.078
When it comes to issues that have to do with tenancy, it is always a dicey affair. We know that tenancy agreement are subject to review.

Are there any special processes to be employed to raise the rent amount of the building?
Or the landlord can just raise the rent of his property as he wishes.
Yes.
It's his house but he needs to be considerate
He should not just increase it without a reasonable complaint

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Both landlords and tenants are well covered and protected under rent edicts. So far the conditions of the rent increase does not jeopardize this rent edict, it is allowed.

Enxx

Notable
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Some landlord are nice and kind like this but some of them NOT, so according to my experience i will move out before my last day, and i find new place a month earlier so i dont have to rush.
That is the reason for the free time that will be given so that the tenant will have time to look for new place

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.010
In Nigeria, where there is no law, landlords can do as they please. In other western countries, where there is regulation and control of price, is not possible without government approval.

Joshua Farrell

The Funny Looking Blank Avatar Guy
Nov 9, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$0.000
Where I live, most rent increases come in the form of a contract signed. It is a little bit more legally hard to justify a rent increase as a property manager or owner, if you don't have a contract that is signed that identifies the rent paid, and any other items that normally come with it. As far as I can tell, once you sign your first contract on a rental, so long as a rental agreement change isn't signed, you can still pay rent based on the last contract you signed.

flower

Notable
Jan 9, 2023
Dex
$0.024
Raw Dex
$0.001
The landlord does not have the right to increase rent as he deemed fit and if he does , he could be charged to the court and justice will be served.

Reedex

Well Known
Jan 8, 2023
Dex
$0.012
Raw Dex
$0.001
In my locality rent are not regulated because each and every landlord will charge any amount that you feel like which is really uncalled for and the government are not doing something about it.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I think the landlord can increase the rent to match up with the realities of the times. And also, a landlord is free to value his apartment however he wishes.

Cam

Administrator
Admin
Mar 30, 2024
Dex
$95.096
Raw Dex
$2.864
A landlord has ever right to increase the rent. He would need to honor whatever lease is in place, but once that lease is up, he could definitely hike up the rent. It's frustrating to be on the other end of that, but it happens. Shopping centers/malls do that to their commercial tenants all the time too. It's capitalism.

Fidelia

Somewhat Known
Oct 28, 2023
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$0.000
I always negotiate with landlords before paying for a house to bring in increments every 2 years. Saying a landlord can increase rents anytime can easily lead to exploitative tendencies.

Back