Drawbacks of Freelancing

nomad

Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.170
Raw Dex
$6.570
Freelancing offers flexibility and freedom to work, however, the downside is that you only make money when you work actively or when you have assignments at your hand. If you do not work or do not have assignments, you will not have an income. Therefore, there is a lot of downside in full dependence on freelancing, you also need other income sources, most importantly, passive income. Depending on your skills and experience, options like blogging or starting a YouTube channel can be excellent ways for freelancers to create reliable sources for passive income.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$8.465
Offline hustles are indeed very important for the sustainability of the households.
One should not depend on only one source of income for a means of survival in a matter of fact.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$5.143
This is also why freelancers today are advice to not have just a single source of income. This way whenever there is no gig for them to work on, they have something that would generate money for them.

saoussen5765

Notable
Jun 17, 2022
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$0.260
The full drawback of Upwork is set anytime profile to a private account without your permission, you could have the blue badge but this is only a badge after verification and even if you boost your profile and submit for work and pay money for the availability badge as you are begging for money while it is your full right to work, you need to request every time to profile set to public.

Mr Vector

Complete Stranger
Jan 5, 2024
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I have tried freelancing more than 5 years now but never been successful. It is recent that I learnt of a tip and I will try it soon but it needs investment for it to work.

SHAHID987

Notable
Nov 15, 2022
Dex
$0.900
Raw Dex
$0.020
The main problem comes from freelance work is we don't get work on regular basis, we get it after gap and sometimes there remain no work. I am trying to get work in Upwork from long time but till date I am failed to get work from there.

fcbetting

Notable
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$0.670
Hardest part is get reputation. This is common things with new business owners. Without reputation no jobs and income. As freelancer best is at first collect customers trough regular channels and current job and later go as full time freelancer.

Pousinha

Unfamiliar
Jan 25, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.150
The mishap concerning freelancing in my country is tax legislation. So cumbersome and burdening that the only desire is to quit. As it happens in Spain, it costs a shameful monthly amount to pay Social Security and in addition, each completed task costs a certain amount to pay to Municipality too. Imagine: you receive 5 dollars in change of a GIG and you must pay 60 to Social Security and Municipality. To not talk about the accounting entries and the Tax Rate calculation. A lot of times, an accountant is needed, so a freelancer in my country must face the aberration to pay a shamefully high amount into Social Security, Municipality and accountant fees, having earned only 5 dollars. It's a nonsense, but the bureaucracy in my country it's a nonsense itself.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$5.143
Hardest part is get reputation. This is common things with new business owners. Without reputation no jobs and income. As freelancer best is at first collect customers trough regular channels and current job and later go as full time freelancer.
That's true though, once you are new, no one would be willing to give your services a try, thereby making it hard to get customers. The early stage is usually the hardest though.

nomad

Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.170
Raw Dex
$6.570
The mishap concerning freelancing in my country is tax legislation. So cumbersome and burdening that the only desire is to quit. As it happens in Spain, it costs a shameful monthly amount to pay Social Security and in addition, each completed task costs a certain amount to pay to Municipality too. Imagine: you receive 5 dollars in change of a GIG and you must pay 60 to Social Security and Municipality. To not talk about the accounting entries and the Tax Rate calculation. A lot of times, an accountant is needed, so a freelancer in my country must face the aberration to pay a shamefully high amount into Social Security, Municipality and accountant fees, having earned only 5 dollars. It's a nonsense, but the bureaucracy in my country it's a nonsense itself.
I cannot imagine to pay such a hefty tax. However, I also have to pay Hugh taxes on my freelancing income, our government charges around 8 percent taxes for the income you make by working online. However, a lot of people use illegal methods to receive funds so that they can avoid paying taxes.

Pousinha

Unfamiliar
Jan 25, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.150
I cannot imagine to pay such a hefty tax. However, I also have to pay Hugh taxes on my freelancing income, our government charges around 8 percent taxes for the income you make by working online. However, a lot of people use illegal methods to receive funds so that they can avoid paying taxes.
You are still lucky to only pay the 8 percent, compared to South Europe, where you should pay the 26% as a freelancer (in addition, you'll have to pay Social Security and then accountant fees, that use to cost around 300 to 500 euros per month). In my country, you pay the 2% taxes for each task, but the biggest amount (that fixed amount of around 60 dollars, that in Spain becomes 300 euros per month) goes on Social Security fees.

nomad

Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.170
Raw Dex
$6.570
Do they have same kind of taxation for regular workers? I mean do the people who are working in a full job in a company also pay the same kind if taxes that freelancers are paying?

Pousinha

Unfamiliar
Jan 25, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.150
Do they have same kind of taxation for regular workers? I mean do the people who are working in a full job in a company also pay the same kind if taxes that freelancers are paying?
No, in the case of traditional 9 to 5 offline job it's the employer who is legally forced to pay maybe higher taxes for the sake of the employees (even if it's to say a lot of time employers commit tax evasion and the employee pays the piper if he/she isn't able to show the proofs he/she worked for this or that company).

nomad

Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.170
Raw Dex
$6.570
What reasons do they give for charging higher taxes for freelancers? In our country, if you work for home grown clients, your clients are supposed to pay taxes. However when you work for international clients you will have to pay the taxes.

saoussen5765

Notable
Jun 17, 2022
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$0.260
What reasons do they give for charging higher taxes for freelancers? In our country, if you work for home grown clients, your clients are supposed to pay taxes. However when you work for international clients you will have to pay the taxes.
These are countries laws we cannot do nothing to change them.

Pousinha

Unfamiliar
Jan 25, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.150
Various governments in southern Europe and Latin America are corrupted, so they give the specious reason that freelancing is a get rich quick profession (especially in southern European countries) and it deserves to pay huge taxes. That's one of the reasons many south Europeans prefer to leave their countries.

nomad

Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.170
Raw Dex
$6.570
Various governments in southern Europe and Latin America are corrupted, so they give the specious reason that freelancing is a get rich quick profession (especially in southern European countries) and it deserves to pay huge taxes. That's one of the reasons many south Europeans prefer to leave their countries.
That's so unfair. In my home country, the government does not still believe it is possible to make money online. That's why it has not started crafting laws that make the job easier. However, banks charge fees and tax cut everytime you receive money.

Rubz

Somewhat Known
Sep 12, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
One of the major drawbacks of freelancing is uncertainty of income. One is not sure of when one will get work and how much one will earn from the work. This is what i really dislike about freelancing.

Back