Reasons to avoid excessive overtime at work

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.038
The truth is that some employees just look at the benefits that comes with working overtime especially if the pay is right but too much of anything even a good thing can bring negative output.

So what are the negative effects of taking up excessive overtime on the employees

it will bring high level of employee burnout

There will be also excessive reduction in employee engagement.

it will result in higher absenteeism and lower productivity.

Add yours

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$4.100
Raw Dex
$0.008
Excessive overtime may cause the workers to burn out frequently. It may also affect the productivity and efficiency of the workforce. As excessive overtime may have negative impact on work life balance, employees may look for other job opportunities which result in high staff turnover.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.038
Exactly, too much of anything is bad so excessive overtime will definitely cause the workers to burn out much often than not. It will also affect the productivity and efficiency of the workforce.

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Excessive overtime may affect the mental and physical health of the employees. When employees are not in right mind frame, they are bound to make mistakes that will adversely affect their productivity. Moreover, excessive overtime may disruptive workers lifestyle and makes them to lose coordination.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.038
Sure , excessive overtime may disrupt workers lifestyle and makes them have both mental and physical health problems. So caution should be applied when you need to work overtime daily

Elendu

Unfamiliar
Jan 27, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
If your business is consistently requiring overtime from workers, consider hiring additional staff to help lighten the workload and reduce the need for overtime and make sure that you set realistic expectations for workload and deadlines, so your employees do not feel the need to work overtime to meet unreasonable expectations

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.038
I wish companies can understand this but no they will not employ additional staff to help lighten the workload. They need to reduce the need for overtime for the workers

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$4.778
Excessively overtime for the workers would affect the production output. This is because workers tend to be sluggish on the normal working hours sparing the most crucial part of the work as their overtime.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
The truth is that some employees just look at the benefits that comes with working overtime especially if the pay is right but too much of anything even a good thing can bring negative output.

So what are the negative effects of taking up excessive overtime on the employees

Add yours
I believe that if you have adequate numbers of workers in your business, there would not be any need for working overtime by any staff.

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
In such a situation many employees will not have interest in working for the business venture. A lot of them will also be tired to carry out their duties the next day.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.748
Excessive overtime may cause the workers to burn out frequently. It may also affect the productivity and efficiency of the workforce. As excessive overtime may have negative impact on work life balance, employees may look for other job opportunities which result in high staff turnover.
I do agree that it can burned out the employees if they do overtime often. It is not a good thing because it can affect their productivity at work. If ever, they need to compensate their overtime work.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.620
I do agree that it can burned out the employees if they do overtime often. It is not a good thing because it can affect their productivity at work. If ever, they need to compensate their overtime work.
Compensation doesn't stop burnouts of Staff. When fatigue sets in, it does. I won't do overtime for any organization. Afterall, it I break down, I would still have to use money and treat myself.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.240

Add yours
Doing the right thing at the right time is very important so you work extra time

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
In such a situation many employees will not have interest in working for the business venture. A lot of them will also be tired to carry out their duties the next day.
This is one of the reason why it is very important for you to make sure that those that are hired to work for you, are very much interested in carrying out their duties.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.748
Compensation doesn't stop burnouts of Staff. When fatigue sets in, it does. I won't do overtime for any organization. Afterall, it I break down, I would still have to use money and treat myself.
I do agree that it will not stop the feeling of being burn out. But then, it is a part of their jobs. I am not sure in your country, but it does happen not only in my country but also in other nations. If the employer did not do it, then it is considered insubordinate issue.

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
This is one of the reason why it is very important for you to make sure that those that are hired to work for you, are very much interested in carrying out their duties.
Yeah, it will definitely affect their productivity which is not a good thing for the business venture. Businesses should stop anything that will slow their employees' productivity.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.748
Yeah, it will definitely affect their productivity which is not a good thing for the business venture. Businesses should stop anything that will slow their employees' productivity.
I agree with you. If the productivity is low consistently. The business owner needs to consider closing the company or not. If it is in this situation, merging with other companies is the option to continue having the business.

Johnson2468

Notable
Dec 23, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Excessive overtime can cause workers to burnout and it can reduce productivity when it is happening repeatedly. It can even lead to loss of good workers in the work place

Back