Should you tell your current employer you are attending employment interview in another organization?

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
As rational humans, we are always looking for better job opportunities with higher pay or perks. And supposing you are invited for an employment interview in another organization and you want to take permission from your current employer to attend that interview.

Would you be honest enough to tell your current employer that you won't be at work because you want to attend an employment interview elsewhere? Or would you lie?

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$1.530
Raw Dex
$0.015
No, I don't want anyone starting any kind of witch-hunting or hatred on me before leaving. Some employers will go as far as withholding your last salary for too long.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
No, I don't want anyone starting any kind of witch-hunting or hatred on me before leaving. Some employers will go as far as withholding your last salary for too long.
Are you even talking about witch hunting? Some companies would give you the sack letter right away. Happened in my former place of work and the staff concerned was fired on the spot because he said he could not lie.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$3.248
I do not think it is ethical to do this. It is a private matter and no need to broadcast. As for me, it is better to find a new job before quitting the current job.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
I do not think it is ethical to do this. It is a private matter and no need to broadcast. As for me, it is better to find a new job before quitting the current job.
Since it is a private matter, what would you tell your organization for them to give you an off day for you to attend the interview. As for me, I would just tell them that someone is sick. It is wisdom.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$0.020
Raw Dex
$0.008
No, I see no need to let my current employer know I will be attending a job interview. I don't want the employer to know I am looking for other job opportunities. I'll just take a day off to attend the interview.

fcbetting

Notable
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$0.300
I will probably say that to my boss next week. First I will leave some duty which I have as outside contract and then I will say I will start search new work place.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
It is not about being a liar as some people would think if you cook up some story to tell your boss so that you can attend the interview. That's because the interview might not work out well and you would need to continue with your current job.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
As rational humans, we are always looking for better job opportunities with higher pay or perks. And supposing you are invited for an employment interview in another organization and you want to take permission from your current employer to attend that interview.

Would you be honest enough to tell your current employer that you won't be at work because you want to attend an employment interview elsewhere? Or would you lie?

I've never seen anyone do this kind of a thing in any place they are working because it is not going to be entertained. You will most likely lose their job without even getting the one that you're going for the interview.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I would never even let my employer know I am actively looking for a job. They say that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Job search while already working are done with tact.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.490

You should not do that. Your employer may not want you to leave his workplace for a better place so he will try to convince you not to leave maybe by giving you tips

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
When you tell your boss you are attending an interview in another organization, you are just implying to him that you are not loyal to his job. He would start looking for your replacement immediately and fire you when he finds one.

capri

Somewhat Known
Jun 12, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I think most employers would not react positively to the idea that an employee is attending a job interview in a different organization. To avoid trouble, an employee would thereby be advised to desist from revealing this matter to an employer.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I think most employers would not react positively to the idea that an employee is attending a job interview in a different organization. To avoid trouble, an employee would thereby be advised to desist from revealing this matter to an employer.
This is very true though. But I as a person being an employer won't have issues with such as long as it would help you grow your personal life and your career. You must not keep on working for me even when it is not helping you.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.490
When you tell your boss you are attending an interview in another organization, you are just implying to him that you are not loyal to his job. He would start looking for your replacement immediately and fire you when he finds one.
This is exactly how it works especially in the part of the world that we are in so I think it will be better to keep such a thing to yourself and try to get the job and just resign

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$2.238
For me i believe it depends on the kind of relationship you have with your boss though. But i believe it would be best you let your boss know you would be leaving soon, you might not tell him you are going for an interview. Letting him know you would be leaving soon would help him make the needed preparations.

aovurevu

Somewhat Known
May 4, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.070

Personally speaking , I can't do that .I can only tell him when I have secured the job in question and about to leave, what if the job doesn't fall in place, I do like to think of the possible outcome.

kirubel

Somewhat Known
Oct 30, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
In my country it is a mandatory thing to tell your employer that you are leaving the job now they are working, but first they needs to be sure that they are getting the other job, but if they are not sure that they will get the other job then they don't have to tell to their boss.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$1.530
Raw Dex
$0.015
No employer would accept positively the idea that an employee is attending a job interview in a different organization. So the next bet is for an employee not to disclose such.

Back