Tokens and Coins

Suba

Notable
Nov 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.365
In the crypto world people refer to tokens and coins as cryptocurrencies, but if we look deeper there is of course a fundamental difference, Can you explain to me, what is the difference between tokens and coins?. If possible give examples of well-known tokens and coins.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.733
In the crypto world people refer to tokens and coins as cryptocurrencies, but if we look deeper there is of course a fundamental difference, Can you explain to me, what is the difference between tokens and coins?. If possible give examples of well-known tokens and coins.
I think we can call bitcoin a type of coin while tokens are the new cryptocurrencies that are yet to gain fame and that are still very cheap

Last edited:

iyanpol12

Notable
Nov 30, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Tokens doesn't have their own blockchain, for example Shiba Inu is still an ERC20 token, however, its own network Shibarium is under development. It will eventually become a coin. Coins has their own blockchain or network like BTC, ETH, BNB, etc.

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Tokens doesn't have their own blockchain, for example Shiba Inu is still an ERC20 token, however, its own network Shibarium is under development. It will eventually become a coin. Coins has their own blockchain or network like BTC, ETH, BNB, etc.
Yeah, I think it will become a token and a coin simultaneously because there are still people who will be making transactions of Shiba Inu with binance chain network or ethereum network. A lot of cryptocurrencies fall under this category.

iyanpol12

Notable
Nov 30, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Yeah, I think it will become a token and a coin simultaneously because there are still people who will be making transactions of Shiba Inu with binance chain network or ethereum network. A lot of cryptocurrencies fall under this category.
Yeah. That's right. There are what we call cross chains too. The rise of EVM networks is also here. USDT is actually on Ethereum, but there's USDT on BSC, Tron, Ethereum, and Polygon networks.

riberet19

Notable
Jan 7, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.560
A token is a currency that is created on another blockchain and works within it as we could say shiba inu is an ethereum token that is currently migrating to its main network, a cryptocurrency is a currency with its own blockchain such as bitcoin, ethereum, dogecoin, cardano, solana ...

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Yeah. That's right. There are what we call cross chains too. The rise of EVM networks is also here. USDT is actually on Ethereum, but there's USDT on BSC, Tron, Ethereum, and Polygon networks.
Yeah, I always like to invest in cryptocurrencies that are in several chains simultaneously. I mostly invest in binance smart chain tokens because they are cheaper than ethereum tokens.

iyanpol12

Notable
Nov 30, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Yeah, I always like to invest in cryptocurrencies that are in several chains simultaneously. I mostly invest in binance smart chain tokens because they are cheaper than ethereum tokens.
Same. ERC20 tokens are just too expensive.l with gas fees. Binance Smart Chain tokens ha slower fees. Let's not forget tokens on Polygon Network too. The fees are really low. It's one of the nice networks out there.

Passiveearner

Notable
Dec 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Tokens are cryptocurrency you developed on another project blockchain but coins have their own blockchain.

Well, tokens could be a part of blockchain of a specific coin or those tokens could be a separate coin belonging to a specific centralised project. There are many different kinds of tokens.

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Same. ERC20 tokens are just too expensive.l with gas fees. Binance Smart Chain tokens ha slower fees. Let's not forget tokens on Polygon Network too. The fees are really low. It's one of the nice networks out there.
Yeah, polygon, Solana, Optimism a very good chains with a lot of prospects and their gas fees are very low. They are just like binance smart chain network with very low fees.

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Though a lot of people use the terms interchangeably but it is quite different. Token is a cryptocurrency that does not have it's own blockchain while coins have its blockchain.

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Though a lot of people use the terms interchangeably but it is quite different. Token is a cryptocurrency that does not have it's own blockchain while coins have its blockchain.
Yeah, a lot of people especially people who are newbies in the cryptocurrency space usually interchange the words without minding. They really call any kind of cryptocurrency coins. I think it's lack of knowledge.

Chibson

Well Known
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Thanks a tonne, this is now very clear to me, initially I used to be confused with the two words.
if you want to learn things about cryptocurrency and not be confused I think YouTube is a very good place for you to go to acquire such knowledge. When I started my cryptocurrency journey I actually used YouTube to get proper idea of many things.

gammarays

Notable
Sep 15, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Coin is a crypto token built on its own blockchain. They are broader in utilities than tokens which are normal crypto. Tokens are built on the blockchain networks of coins. Popular coins are Ethereum, BNB, polygon etc

Back