Why does a company need to demote an employee?

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.015
Raw Dex
$4.101
In my view, there is nothing wrong if a company demoted an employee. One thing is for sure, he or she cannot carried out his or her job responsibilities. A company is not a fool to pay a person who cannot their jobs right. I had observed that these people are the products of nepotism. It is an old practice that needs to be stopped.

AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$1.340
Raw Dex
$0.105
If the performance of a staff is not up to expectation, it's better to provide some training to him/her; or in the worst case, terminate his/her employment. Demotion is not commonly practiced here because it is very de-motivating. The staff getting demotion may not be loyal to the company any more.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
In my view, there is nothing wrong if a company demoted an employee. One thing is for sure, he or she cannot carried out his or her job responsibilities. A company is not a fool to pay a person who cannot their jobs right. I had observed that these people are the products of nepotism. It is an old practice that needs to be stopped.

If it's very obvious that you are not living up to the expectations on why you were hired, I believe that it is more than enough for the company to demote you and promote someone who is doing better than you.

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$5.000
Raw Dex
$0.612
There will be potential and lawful reasons why demote an employee. The ground will be administrative like insubordination that's successively done violating a policy, not following the work ethic, insulting the heads, spreading false news. The said employee or employees could be demoted or permanently removed from work.

Suba

Notable
Nov 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.585
Demotions can be carried out by company leaders and must be accompanied by clear reasons, such as employee performance, achievement of employee targets, evidence of violating work rules, etc. Demotions can also be carried out at the request of employees to reduce workload, such as inadequate skills, education so that it will be difficult for employees to carry out their duties properly.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.095
Raw Dex
$0.443
it is always about the performance of a staff . When once it is constantly below par or is not up to expectation, demotion or termination will set in too

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.015
Raw Dex
$4.101
If it's very obvious that you are not living up to the expectations on why you were hired, I believe that it is more than enough for the company to demote you and promote someone who is doing better than you.
You are so right. That is the reason why they need to do this. Luckily, I have not experienced this before and until now. If it does, it will be a bad reputation for me to continue working with the company.

Carson20t

Notable
Sep 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.480
Yes, I will agree with others that each employee needs to have deliverables met and failure to do that will result in them being found with a case to answer, that is why it is not advisable to employ people based on favours but rather on merit. This will ensure that competence is at centre stage. If one shows or proves not to meet expectations and deliver then they will be demoted or utmost they will be fired.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$1.130
Raw Dex
$9.445
There are various factors that would make a company demote an employee, in some cases it could be that they are no longer competent in how they do their job, or they must have committed an offence.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.560
A company may demote an employee who engages in dishonest acts in the organization. They can also demote a staff whose behavior within or out of workplace brings the organization to disrepute.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.078
A company should the most an employee when the employee is not meeting up to the task that the company has given to him because I'm very sure that they will give him a deadline or a limit to the things he can do

Smalto

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.003
Very true, no one has the resources to be throwing bout any how, if an employee is not adding value to the company he or she should be demoted with immediate effect so as to cut cost .

funkie

Somewhat Known
Oct 17, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I think you make a good point about nepotistic individuals getting demoted, but usually for other employees, it is very demotivating to see either themselves or their colleagues get demoted. I think a business owner should first give the employee warnings until you can no longer see an improvement, then you may proceed to either demote or fire the employee.

Stardom22

Very Familiar
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$5.000
Raw Dex
$0.481
I really don't understand this thing. I had however seen from companies that they would demote a staff if at all the staff in question did performed a gross of misconduct on the workplace.

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.015
Raw Dex
$4.101
I think you make a good point about nepotistic individuals getting demoted, but usually for other employees, it is very demotivating to see either themselves or their colleagues get demoted. I think a business owner should first give the employee warnings until you can no longer see an improvement, then you may proceed to either demote or fire the employee.
You are right. If I were in their shoes, I would prefer to resign if being demoted. I cannot show my face if it turned out like this. I will find a new job and prove myself in another working place.
Post automatically merged:

Very true, no one has the resources to be throwing bout any how, if an employee is not adding value to the company he or she should be demoted with immediate effect so as to cut cost .
Besides the point, he or she needs to be demoted for not doing his or her responsibilities well. In fact, he or she still lucky because he or she was not fired by the company.

Last edited:

IB D

Well Known
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.290
There are acts that are termed as gross misconduct and it actually varies from organization to organization. And when a staff is caught in such, he or she should be demoted immediately.

nomad

Very Familiar
Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.200
Raw Dex
$0.270
I do not think a company or the boss has the rights to humilate any indovidual. I am against demoting anyone. If you feel like the person is not giving maximum output, you can ask him to resign.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
I do not think a company or the boss has the rights to humilate any indovidual. I am against demoting anyone. If you feel like the person is not giving maximum output, you can ask him to resign.
Demotion is better than forced resignation when the unemployment rate is very high and you are not sure he or she would find another job soon. With demotion, there is still hopenof him rising through the ranks again.

nomad

Very Familiar
Jun 22, 2022
Dex
$0.200
Raw Dex
$0.270
Demotion is better than forced resignation when the unemployment rate is very high and you are not sure he or she would find another job soon. With demotion, there is still hopenof him rising through the ranks again.
I do not think a person is willing to be humiliated. Well, jobs are scarce but can one continue to work for a company that humiliates him? Maybe a better approach would be reducing his pay scale and not making the news public.

Back