Would you deduct worker's salary for being late?

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
In most organizations, there is a law that the salary of staff would be deducted for coming to work late.

I am yet to be a victim of it though but people are victims. Can you also deduct latenesses from a staff salary?

Last edited by a moderator:
AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Magnus2022

Notable
Nov 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.050
Yes! I will do it but with moderation. If a worker refuse to change, I will have one on one discuss with the worker. I will try to find what is the reason behind the lateness.

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
That is a common norms in most companies. They do it for the purpose of serving as a punishment for the erring workers and also as a deterent for other workers.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
Personally, I can't deduct the salary of my staff. My conscience won't let me do that. I would rather have a one on one with the staff and try to understand why he/ she is always late. And proffer solutions.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$6.293
Raw Dex
$0.050
Most companies do it with their employees and it is good because that's how they learn from their mistakes otherwise they will keep on coming late to work and let the work suffer.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$6.293
Raw Dex
$0.050
Let it be that the amount you deduct is substantial. Not some huge amount that would leave the employee with nothing to fend for themselves.

No, it should be of a good amount otherwise an employee won't learn from it. We don't have this rule here in our company, because we dont have fixed times here, we have to work for at least 9-10 hours.

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
In most organizations, there is a law that the salary of staff would be deducted for coming to work late.

I am yet to be a victim of it though but people are victims. Can you also deduct latenesses from a staff salary?
If you work for company, there are several rules that we have to follow. If we agree to work with that, its include with obey the rules. So, dont called ourself as victims when we break the rules, thats so wrong on so many levels when we called ourself a victim. Follow the rules and we will get what we deserved.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
If you work for company, there are several rules that we have to follow. If we agree to work with that, its include with obey the rules. So, dont called ourself as victims when we break the rules, thats so wrong on so many levels when we called ourself a victim. Follow the rules and we will get what we deserved.
When I say these things, I am judging from the lens of my country, Nigeria. This is where people would get paid $50 a month. What would you deduct from that kind of pay? Maybe, the person is running a side hustle to keep body and soul together. That's why the person comes late.

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
When I say these things, I am judging from the lens of my country, Nigeria. This is where people would get paid $50 a month. What would you deduct from that kind of pay? Maybe, the person is running a side hustle to keep body and soul together. That's why the person comes late.
You can do whatever side hustle to keep feed the family. Its fine for me. But when working with some company (big or small) always come on time is A MUST, thats what we called commitment. If you cant do it, i would not hire someone who always come late for unreasonable thing (like side hustle, its so wrong my friend).

If the company cant give you enough salary find another one who pay better. Side hustle is just an extra money and extra job, our main job is our first priority. If your side hustle earned more than main job, quit the job. But coming late for main job is not allow unless we have reason for that like something bad happens.

Last edited:

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
You can do whatever side hustle to keep feed the family. Its fine for me. But when working with some company (big or small) always come on time is A MUST, thats what we called commitment. If you cant do it, i would not hire someone who always come late for unreasonable thing (like side hustle, its so wrong my friend).

If the company cant give your enough salary find another one who pay better. Side hustle is just an extra money and extra job, our main job is our first priority. If your side hustle earned more than main job, quit the job. But coming late for main job is not allow unless we have reason for that like something bad happens.
Yes boss. I get your point. I love your arguments. I disagree to agree at this point. Punctuality to work is an obligation.

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Yes boss. I get your point. I love your arguments. I disagree to agree at this point. Punctuality to work is an obligation.
Back to your country payment rate, $50 for a month? Thats not enough for living for one person in a month. I understand why they do many side hustle. In my city minimum rate is around $180 a month and i though still not enough if they have many children

But when talking about commitmen its totally wrong.

relcap23

Notable
Sep 8, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I work with the government and our vacation and sick leaves are being monetized so all lates are being deducted from it. It doesn't guarantee however that one is free from being late everyday because we are very strict when it comes to attendance. There's a limit to yhe number of being late in a month.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
Back to your country payment rate, $50 for a month? Thats not enough for living for one person in a month. I understand why they do many side hustle. In my city minimum rate is around $180 a month and i though still not enough if they have many children

But when talking about commitmen its totally wrong.
I yield. You have the Superior argument. If it doesn't favor you, don't be giving excuses, just walk.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$6.293
Raw Dex
$0.050
I work with the government and our vacation and sick leaves are being monetized so all lates are being deducted from it. It doesn't guarantee however that one is free from being late every day because we are very strict when it comes to attendance. There's a limit to the number of being late in a month.

We also have that limit, we are allowed to get late twice in a month and after that half day salary is deducted if we get late by even a minute. It's better to reach well before the time.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$6.293
Raw Dex
$0.050
I am also victim of this deduction, upto some extent this deduction is for better productivity because when there were no strictness staff used to come late, and then management started this deduction.

That's right, sometimes monetary punishment helps to improve the discipline of the employees.

Back