Before negotiating your salary, know what they are paying you for.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
That is actually the truth. Knowing your worth is very much important and that is why people are always advised to acquire as many skills as possible. When you have some skills you'll be very valuable.
Why people sometimes accept outrageous is because they themselves don't carry value. There is how valuable you are and they would be begging you to offer you reasonable pay.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
One thing that people fail at is the ability to negotiate their salaries. There are two variables that you should consider when negotiating your salary. The first one is
1) Your time: How much do you value your time? Your time is your life and you kill yourself when you give someone your time without adequate compensation.
2) Your skills: You offer your skills and creativity to help his dreams grow. What value can you place on that skill?
There is no way a company is going to discuss your salary first before discussing your job description to the best of my knowledge.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Take for instance, one applies for a teaching job. What job description do you need to discuss apart from the fact that you would be teaching. Highest is the classes you would be teaching.
There is no way a company is going to discuss your salary first before discussing your job description to the best of my knowledge.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It is true that when you acquire good skills that can make you an asset to any organization, you hold the aces on salary negotiation. It is all about capacity building.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
You have to consider how difficult it is to replace you when you are negotiating your salary. When you are hard to be found, you are bound to negotiate your salary higher.

Sophie

Unfamiliar
Apr 28, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Before negotiation or bargaining a wise applicant would patiently wait till a salary amount is decided. I find it very rude for someone who has not been given a job bargaining

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
Aunty please, l beg to differ. You can start bargaining for the salary if possible even before the interview. This would even let you know of you should go ahead with the interview
Before negotiation or bargaining a wise applicant would patiently wait till a salary amount is decided. I find it very rude for someone who has not been given a job bargaining

Passiveearner

Notable
Dec 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Many people in the Human Resource department are really clever. They want to get an idea about what you are expecting and this is why they expect you to tell them what amount of salary you want or expect!

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
For people that don't value their time, they would be willing to do a job at any rate. That is why I love the hourly payment system used in many countries. Monthly pay seems like a complete rip off.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
For me time is very important to be taken into account in salary negotiations, when I get paid for once a month, and after reaching a month then I will ask for my salary. I don't care about the company's financial condition, because I'm only asking for my rights as long as I work well there. If I don't get paid, then there's no reason to stay around.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$3.338
Most employees don't factor in the value of their time when negotiating salaries. Even if you go to an organization and sit down doing nothing, the time they have taken from you is enough to pay you well
Lol true though, but it is very important you make sure you know exactly what they are paying you for, cause there are cases where the work load they would even give you in the end might be more than what you are paid for.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Lol true though, but it is very important you make sure you know exactly what they are paying you for, cause there are cases where the work load they would even give you in the end might be more than what you are paid for.
The workload is also important and is also relative to time. The higher workload you have, the more you should get paid. But some people shortchange themselves all because they are desperate.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$6.513
I agree with you totally. When negotiating about the salary, I normally consider the following; The time required for me to do the job, The concentration and the usage of my skills for the job.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Take for instance, a school that contracts you to teach from 8am to 2pm would surely have less workload than a school that you are teaching from 8am to 4pm. Time is a major factor alongside your skills level.

Smalto

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
If you know your worth, you would definitely know how to effectively negotiate to your favour, though negotiation is a very good skill worthy of acquisition, then try to know what you are offering and make sure you will be adding value to the potential employer.
Before negotiating salary at you work place it is important to consider the time you will be using at work. So you can know if it pays to take on the job

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
Any job that is taking up to 8 hours of your time is supposed to pay you an amount that you use to take care of yourself considering prevalent economic realities. That is because they have taken all your productive time.

Authenticity101

Somewhat Known
Aug 8, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Your salary should really compensate the time and skills you give to the company. It shouldn't be so unsatisfactory that you think you have wasted your time or your skills have not been seen.

Golden9

Notable
Sep 6, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.210
Many people are forced to settle for jobs that pay less than what is acceptable because of the economic situation. It's hard to even negotiate your salary now because there are a lot of people out there looking for it too

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$3.338
You need to know the time you will be using so you can compare with whatever you are doing before if it is worth you time. You need to be cleared on the time
Yes this is extremely important cause some employees can be very tricky. Most of them are usually not even honest about the whole thing. You did be surprised that after they employ you, they would give you more work than what they told you the first time.

Back