Does a landlord have the right to increase rents as he deems fit.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
When it comes to issues that have to do with tenancy, it is always a dicey affair. We know that tenancy agreement are subject to review.

Are there any special processes to be employed to raise the rent amount of the building?
Or the landlord can just raise the rent of his property as he wishes.

AmazingJob

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.585
But not all do this. I remember reading my contract when I moved to a new appointment many years ago. I have not seen any. I just signed the contract. The landlord did not mention it.
But yeah, this is a good to know information maybe I can be careful reading it in case they ask me to go back to work onsite. At least I have an idea to ask prior signing the contract.

Shavkat

Very Familiar
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.055
Raw Dex
$0.005
I think it is. However, it depends also if the tenant would agree or not. Regardless, if the tenant does not want it, then he or she will be asked by the owner to find another place.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$12.385
Raw Dex
$0.003
Here in India, there is no such law that how much should be the rent or how much time or money the owner should increase. They do it on their wish but many of them make a contract where they mention that every year they will increase a certain percentage of money. The owners who increase rent on their wish do inform the tenants before they increase rent so that the tenant may get enough time to find a new place for them.

AmazingJob

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.585
Here in India, there is no such law that how much should be the rent or how much time or money the owner should increase. They do it on their wish but many of them make a contract where they mention that every year they will increase a certain percentage of money. The owners who increase rent on their wish do inform the tenants before they increase rent so that the tenant may get enough time to find a new place for them.
That still good. As long as the owners will inform the tenants. However, isn't it good to inform them beforehand signing any contract or before moving in so that the mindset of the tenant will be set rather than thinking where they can get extra income go pay the rent. Some will look for a new place with the same old rent.
I believe it will show some courtesy to the renters if they are informed before taking the place to rent.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$12.385
Raw Dex
$0.003
That still good. As long as the owners will inform the tenants. However, isn't it good to inform them beforehand signing any contract or before moving in so that the mindset of the tenant will be set rather than thinking where they can get extra income go pay the rent. Some will look for a new place with the same old rent.
I believe it will show some courtesy to the renters if they are informed before taking the place to rent.

We have property here which we have given on the rent and we have a contract with the tenant regarding rent increase every year when he feels that he is giving excess rent, he can give us a notice period of a month and can vacate it and that's how it should work.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.853
No the landlord does not have the right to increase rent for no reason or on a regular basis. There should be a legit reason as to why the price should go up.

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I see, the owners have the right to increase the rent and the tenant have the right to be inform before it. I used to rent a house for years, sometimes the old tenant get lower price with the new tenant, and i always get the lower price because i was the old tenant and we had good relationship so the owners not increase the rent for almost 3 years but every new tenant will get the new price (higher price)

RicAngelo

Notable
Oct 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
In Hong Kong, landlords cannot increase rent within a two-year period. After two years, they may increase the rent by no more than 10 per cent.
Interesting, thats the rules in Hongkong, in Indonesia, theres no rules about it, it depends on landlords and the tenant agreement. As far as i know, great location and great place with complete facilities, they always offer a great prices, and the prices maybe different for a new tenant (higher price). And few month before the rent is over, if the landlord didnt like you, they will increase with unreasonable price (they just want to kick you out of their place, though)

Raja

Notable
Jun 25, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
If there is a written agreement between the owner and the tenant then the owner can increase as per it and if there is no agreement then the owner can increase as per their wish.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
No the landlord does not have the right to increase rent for no reason or on a regular basis. There should be a legit reason as to why the price should go up.
Sir, you and I know that this is only on paper. Nigerian landlors don't give pre rental contracts. They can decide to increase rent at anytime.

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Landlord has the right to determine or increase his rent as he deemed fit only in areas there is no established rent edicts. Where there is, he's not empowered.

Back