Should companies spy on their employees on social media?

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$1.130
Raw Dex
$9.645
There are some companies who tend to ask for their employees social handlers mostly during interviews or after they have been employed. The reason for this is to know who the employees really are. It is believed that you can tell a lot about an individual due to their post or activities online on social media. Are you okay with your employers going through your social media accounts?

AgoraForo - Digital Marketplace & Freelancer Forum

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.390
Don't even call it spying but observing. When you work for an organization, you represent the organization and anything you do would always be referenced to the organization. A guy was sacked in a reputable organization in my country because of a leaked Twitter conversation.

aovurevu

Somewhat Known
May 4, 2023
Dex
$0.100
Raw Dex
$0.000
There are some companies who tend to ask for their employees social handlers mostly during interviews or after they have been employed. The reason for this is to know who the employees really are. It is believed that you can tell a lot about an individual due to their post or activities online on social media. Are you okay with your employers going through your social media accounts?
This helps to know more about the employee in question, his past , the people he keeps as friends and lots more.and that's why people do claim that the internet holds secret.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.095
Raw Dex
$0.543
I don't think this is bad. I will do same to know more about the employee I'm employing. The person social media page will say a lot about the person

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Even though social media handles is a private affairs of individuals, I don't see anything wrong in it. Recently, Central Bank of Nigeria is considering compelling the commercial banks to start asking for their customers social media handles as part of kyc.

capri

Somewhat Known
Jun 12, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.010
Given that certain employers would choose to scrutinize the social media accounts of their employees, the workers need to be proactive so as to avoid getting into the bad books of their bosses. An employer can get around this challenge by creating separate personal and professional social media accounts. By sharing only the professional social media accounts with employers, an employee would prevent himself from incurring damages.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.560
When you are working for an organization, people find it hard to differentiate between you, a person and the organization. Armed with that understanding, organizations monitor the social media handles of their staff to be sure the staff are not bringing down the reputation of the organization.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$6.293
Raw Dex
$0.050
I don't know if people do that here. But yes there are many managers in my company who are friends with many of the workers in our company , they say they do it to check what they are doing.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020

It is going to be a complete waste of time for a company to be doing this kind of thing because I don't see any reason why it is going to be beneficial to the company's business transaction.

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It is going to be a complete waste of time for a company to be doing this kind of thing because I don't see any reason why it is going to be beneficial to the company's business transaction.
It is not a complete waste of time. There must be purpose for every action that are supposing to be taken by the company. The reason why is important is for security reasons.

cherry123

Popular
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.095
Raw Dex
$0.543
The thing is that social media handles is open to the public especially if you set it that way. The employers can also assess the information there. So there's no big deal about it.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$1.130
Raw Dex
$9.645
It is not a complete waste of time. There must be purpose for every action that are supposing to be taken by the company. The reason why is important is for security reasons.
You might have a point though, there are companies who are very strict with how their employees act be it within the company and as well outside the company. They value their image a lot. So they use your activities on social media to determine if you are qualified.

aovurevu

Somewhat Known
May 4, 2023
Dex
$0.100
Raw Dex
$0.000
You might have a point though, there are companies who are very strict with how their employees act be it within the company and as well outside the company. They value their image a lot. So they use your activities on social media to determine if you are qualified.
Yeah, that's the truth, I always believe people's post and their activities on social media just portrays who they really are and that's why we shouldn't engage in unnecessary things on our social media platform because the internet never forgets them.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$1.340
Raw Dex
$0.105
Honestly, I do not feel comfortable if my employer checks the postings in my Whatspp or Telegram accounts. I think this is a matter of privacy and trust. For Facebook account, it does not matter because the content is open to public anyway.

fcbetting

Notable
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.010
Raw Dex
$4.060
Probably not but people should be careful what they post and when they post. Even it is not related to your job you still have social responsability. At least keep everything in private.

Blessed19

Notable
Mar 1, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Well it is good for the company to know how their employees behave on social media as they are like ambassadors of the company to its customers who can also be found on social media.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.560
Probably not but people should be careful what they post and when they post. Even it is not related to your job you still have social responsability. At least keep everything in private.
You can't be working in my organization and be posting nudity on social media. It would be as if I run an irresponsible organization. This is true especially of big corporate brands.

kirubel

Somewhat Known
Oct 30, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
No, defiantly not, companies should not spay on their workers on social media, that is a very bad thing to do on their workers, and it is not acceptable thing to do, employees have the right to be free on their off work time, so it is no acceptable to spay on their workers.

Starmix

Popular
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$5.000
Raw Dex
$0.712
There is no company doing it in my place spying their workers on social media. they could be sued for distracting of privacy of the people outside his workplace. It seems malicious and anomalous.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$1.130
Raw Dex
$9.645
There is no company doing it in my place spying their workers on social media. they could be sued for distracting of privacy of the people outside his workplace. It seems malicious and anomalous.
True but i think it still depends on the kind of arrangements. There are some companies who take their reputation seriously hence they let their employees know that their social media might be check randomly to ensure that they don't do anything that would spoil the reputation of the company. Especially in a situation where you are working or being used as the face of the company in terms of ambassador and so on. But it becomes wrong when the company does not let the employees know.

Back