What is the real reason paypal is not working in Nigeria?

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
That's good to hear your money from PayPal is auto transfer to your bank account. Ours in Philippines PayPal requests a bank link account and it takes us 2 to 3 days to withdrawn the money thru ATM the affiliated bank of PayPal.
Well, some complaint about this rule. They like to accumulate their money in PayPal wallet for some reasons. But they can't. I find it very convenient for myself. I don't have to keep a track or send a withdrawal request. The money is automatically transferred to my bank account without any hassle.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.018
Not allowing PayPal to be used for receiving payment but allowed to send payment is unfair to us in Nigeria. It is high time the admin review our case.
This sounds weird so how does one send out money then when they can't receive dollars into the account. Those with this policy can make this really make sense because I'm not understanding

Carson20t

Notable
Sep 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.160
Mainly it is because of the governements policy to allow such boarderless transactions that can be cost effective but will still be disadvantging the already existing financial platforms that went to seal the MOUs way back before the swift platforms ever came into existence.They block governments to embrace new technologies and also alot of government officials have shares and interests in such traditional financial platforms like mobile money,moneygram,western union and so on.

So mainly it is as a result of no political will from governments in Nigeria and africa to help in making this world a global village as far as financial and payment platforms is concerned which is hindering on financial inclusion.

Last edited:

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Oh! Reading the above replies indicates it clearly that these banning and restrictions are mainly from the government of the country. I assumed that the ban is from the side of PayPal. But countries that don't accept PayPal accept the other similar kind of platforms. The fact remains with other platforms too that they can be misused for illegal activities. So, why only discriminate PayPal which is the most accepted one globally.

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
This is popularly due to yahoo or scamming (cyber crime). Nigeria and India are among the most countries with high rate of Cyber crime
PayPal is not banned in India. I don't know of any similar kind of payment platforms that are banned in India. Nothing is banned for Indian users. The rules are a regulated by government and we can't use PayPal as a wallet to accumulate money

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
This is simply because Nigeria is one of the countries in Africa whereby the cyber crime rates very high.
Yes, that's right, I've heard this excuse. It makes sense that a country with a high crime rate would be blacklisted. But some time ago, my country (Indonesia) also blocked Paypal, but I don't know the reason behind it. I am grateful now to be allowed to use Paypal again.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.018
I know the ban cane because of the little crime rate that has affected a whole part of the nation and the reputation of young people in Nigeria which is battered

Carson20t

Notable
Sep 10, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.160
I still think that governments and the early fintech services have dominance and sanction governments not to allow companies that will come to overtake the existing fintech companies. This means that people will be compelled to use the existing fintech companies not until more pressure is mounted on governments to provide that solution. That is the case of PayPal in most African countries. It has everything to do with our governments and not PayPal.

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I am not sure as what's the exact reason for ban of PayPal in a country. People come up with various reasons like high rate of cyber crime etc. But then it's not universal. Sometimes, PayPal has been working fine in few countries and then it stopped. In some cases, it started working again. I guess the onus is not only on PayPal. The government of the country plays an equally important role.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
I am not sure as what's the exact reason for ban of PayPal in a country. People come up with various reasons like high rate of cyber crime etc. But then it's not universal. Sometimes, PayPal has been working fine in few countries and then it stopped. In some cases, it started working again. I guess the onus is not only on PayPal. The government of the country plays an equally important role.
It is purely the decision of paypal to restrict operations from that country based on reasons best know to them. It could be due to fraud or other reasons. Cryptocurrency is not working in some countries also.

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It is purely the decision of paypal to restrict operations from that country based on reasons best know to them. It could be due to fraud or other reasons. Cryptocurrency is not working in some countries also.
Oh! I see. Thank you for clarifying it..I was under the impression that even government has a role to play.
I remember few Bangladeshi and Pakistani mylotters who were very active on myLot. But then they had to leave the site as PayPal banned those two countries. And Mylot only pays through PayPal.

flower

Notable
Jan 9, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
You got it all wrong because it was the Nigerian government that restricted Paypal from operating in the country.

Back