Why transportation cost is a factor in negotiating salary.

Shavkat

Well Known
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$6.663
20% is a little bit on the high side but it is kind of fair. At 20% of your salary going for transportation, 60-70% going on food, it is not easy to manage the remainder for savings and utilities.
You have a point. I personally think some employees are so lucky to have companies with shuttle buses. They do not need to worry about the transportation expenses because the companies covered them.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
You have a point. I personally think some employees are so lucky to have companies with shuttle buses. They do not need to worry about the transportation expenses because the companies covered them.
Those kind of companies that have shuttle buses are majorly multi nationals. Even bankers have to convey themselves to work by themselves. But if the cost of transportation becomes too high.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.130
Cost of transportation to work is from your salary and it would greatly affect your disposable income. Best thing people do now is that they get accommodations close to their workplace or businesses to cut cost.

Hate2Wait

Very Familiar
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.010
We need to see if we need to travel a long distance while commuting for job and if yes then we can certainly negotiate but for that we need to be good at our work

Passiveearner

Notable
Dec 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
A person who lives at a far distant place may have a harder time getting at the workplace on time. Secondly, certain jobs require businesses to recruit people who do not reside at a distant place. This is why the place of residence may matter to some employers.

Hate2Wait

Very Familiar
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.010
This should be considered and we should also consider the commute because what if we need to travel 2 hours or more to reach work so it will be almost 13 hours of work for us

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
So many people are offered job opportunities and they negotiate salaries with the management. One of the key things they forget to talk about is transportation cost to and fro work. They don't even factor it in until they start the work and realize that transportation cost to the workplace is almost taking all the salary. You must consider your transportation cost before accepting any job offers.
Our employment structure here do not consider transportation cost while negotiating the salary structure. The worker himself might not want to discuss it because it can be used to disqualify him from the employment.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Our employment structure here do not consider transportation cost while negotiating the salary structure. The worker himself might not want to discuss it because it can be used to disqualify him from the employment.
I wanted to employ a staff and one of the things we discussed was transportation. The maid that works in my house as at today is given NGN200 transport everyday aside her salary. When I was working, my transportation was handled by the company. They used to give me 2k naira every week. My brother, build value and organizations would value you.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$9.008
For me I would consider looking a house to rent at the place nearby the job. This would ease the stress associated in the commuting to an from the job for instance.

Hate2Wait

Very Familiar
Jun 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.010
I have seen people that don't negotiate at first and then regret it because it took them longer to reach the office now and also need to travel long miles that does makes it costly

capri

Somewhat Known
Jun 12, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
During these negotiation, it is important for a worker to consider the maximums possible fare charged by transport service providers. Such outlook is helpful in ensuring that a worker is not caught off guard in the event these service providers hike their charges.

Passiveearner

Notable
Dec 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
There are many companies that would not care that much. They would offer you some salary, but they would expect you to bear the expenses when it comes to transportation expenses.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
For me I would consider looking a house to rent at the place nearby the job. This would ease the stress associated in the commuting to an from the job for instance.
This is the best approach but what if the job is in a location where you wouldn't love to live at. You know it is possible that you might not love to live in a particular location for some reason.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$9.008
I think that the labour laws in my country states that the transportation and the house rents costs for the workers are supposed to be taken care of by the employers.

aovurevu

Somewhat Known
May 4, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.070
So many people are offered job opportunities and they negotiate salaries with the management. One of the key things they forget to talk about is transportation cost to and fro work. They don't even factor it in until they start the work and realize that transportation cost to the workplace is almost taking all the salary. You must consider your transportation cost before accepting any job offers.
Transportation cost is very important when accepting or applying for new job and it should be a key factor to consider,this is the reason after some people collected their salary and later find out they have used almost all the salary on transport.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Many people just get an apartment within the location of the job but this is only possible in developing and emerging cities. It is a lot difficult to find ready apartments in a choice location for a highly developed city.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$3.440
Raw Dex
$0.003
That's true. I agree with you one must consider the transportation cost with the salary. Sometimes the transportation cost is too high that we repend afterwards for not considering it.

Semi

Unfamiliar
Jun 19, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I have never accepted any job without considering the distance to and fro the workplace. I won't want to end up trekking or spend the whole salary on transportation. I must discuss transportation before accepting a job.

Back