Why transportation cost is a factor in negotiating salary.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
So many people are offered job opportunities and they negotiate salaries with the management. One of the key things they forget to talk about is transportation cost to and fro work. They don't even factor it in until they start the work and realize that transportation cost to the workplace is almost taking all the salary. You must consider your transportation cost before accepting any job offers.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
When I am offered a Job, I immediately start looking for information on how much it would take to transport myself to the work. I can't take a job that the transportation cost is more than 20% of the salary

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
So many people are offered job opportunities and they negotiate salaries with the management. One of the key things they forget to talk about is transportation cost to and fro work. They don't even factor it in until they start the work and realize that transportation cost to the workplace is almost taking all the salary. You must consider your transportation cost before accepting any job offers.
Yes, that's right, apart from transportation money, you also have food allowance while working. Unless food is provided by the company. I always consider the pros and cons, a salary offered is reduced by the costs I need while working, if there are very few left then I won't take the opportunity.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
This is something that should be taken into consideration whenever you're getting a new job. If not, you will have more expenses that's going to make your salary earned not mean much.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.725
I do agree with you. Most companies do not ask this concern because they do not want to be obliged in giving this matter. However, some companies include travel expenses for the hired employees.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$2.238
Indeed the transportation factor is very important when considering a particular job salary. Cause let's be honest, we are in it to make money. If more than half of your salary goes into transportation, then it is of no use.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$4.100
Raw Dex
$0.008
That's very true. In Hong Kong, transportation cost is very high. We really need to take into account transportation cost when negotiating salary with the potential employer. I have worked for a company located in a pretty remote area. They offer free shuttle bus service to workers.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
Indeed the transportation factor is very important when considering a particular job salary. Cause let's be honest, we are in it to make money. If more than half of your salary goes into transportation, then it is of no use.

If you're spending a big part of salary on transportation, it means that the job is not going to have you with more money to take care of your responsibilities at the end of the month.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Food allowance is also very important. I know a lot of organizations don't give this. And they know that staff get hungry in the course of the job.

SHAHID987

Notable
Nov 15, 2022
Dex
$0.610
Raw Dex
$0.050
Due to big increase in fuel price, here people first ask about transport facility in an interview, if the organization don't provide this then usually people not join that company. Because when company compensate it in salary then the employee face loss.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Due to big increase in fuel price, here people first ask about transport facility in an interview, if the organization don't provide this then usually people not join that company. Because when company compensate it in salary then the employee face loss.
That is even a food arrangements. Instead of putting it in the salary, the organization should just incur the transportation cost. By so doing, the organization would understand what it means to pay to work.

Bisolami

Very Familiar
Sep 19, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.240
That is true.
That is why a lot of them regret after a few days of starting work.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
Food allowance is also very important. I know a lot of organizations don't give this. And they know that staff get hungry in the course of the job.

I'm not sure it is all business is my country that offers food allowance because they actually pay your salary to be able to use and take care of your food needs.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
I'm not sure it is all business is my country that offers food allowance because they actually pay your salary to be able to use and take care of your food needs.
It would have been nice to have food allowance. Let's not even call it food allowance. Let's call it snacks allowance. That's because there is no way you would enter an office and start working from 8am that you would not feel hungry approaching 1pm. At that point, you have to take snacks to keep on working.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.725
That's very true. In Hong Kong, transportation cost is very high. We really need to take into account transportation cost when negotiating salary with the potential employer. I have worked for a company located in a pretty remote area. They offer free shuttle bus service to workers.
I am sure it is not a good thing to have 20% deduction from the salary for the transportation. I would not accept the job offer if going to be offered like this.

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I am sure it is not a good thing to have 20% deduction from the salary for the transportation. I would not accept the job offer if going to be offered like this.
20% is a little bit on the high side but it is kind of fair. At 20% of your salary going for transportation, 60-70% going on food, it is not easy to manage the remainder for savings and utilities.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.898
You are right this is just common sense it is good to alway consider your transportation cost before accepting any job offers. You need to know that the offer is good enough

Back