Would you agree to work extra hours if your boss asked you to?

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.208
Personally speaking, it is fine to work overtime if you are paid. The mere fact is that we need to stick to our job responsibilities. If they are not indicated in our contracts, we do not need to do other tasks. Being busy is fine if we are productive and paid properly by our employers. As for me, both making money and spending time with my family are more important.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
I don't think I Iike the overtime of a thing. It is not just work that someone has to do in a given day. There are other things that needs to be done as a person. I have never accepted to work overtime.

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$3.000
Raw Dex
$0.715
1 work extra hours despite no pay. I don't like the feeling if there's a work that is not done on date. Despite rendering extra hours without a pay, but my program head recognized my hardwork.

Springtime

Well Known
Dec 22, 2022
Dex
$3.410
Raw Dex
$0.008
I do not mind working overtime occasionally to get my job done. However, if my boss requests me to work extra hours for a long period of time, I have to think about it. Work life balance is important to me.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$4.025
The boss must make a clarification about the payment. Upon agreeing with the payment rates because most bosses tend to exploit workers through the overtime work, I can work on extra hours.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.250
I try to make sure that I get my work done within the ambits of the time allocatef for active work. When I leave the office, I don't do any official work. It is time for me to face other aspects of my life.

eldavis

Very Familiar
Sep 4, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$1.643
In most cases we have little to no options in cases like this. Back then while i was working under someone i has to work extra time on several occasions.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.620
In most cases we have little to no options in cases like this. Back then while i was working under someone i has to work extra time on several occasions.
This is the very reason you need to study and understand the job contract you are given before you accept and sign. Ask for overtime conditions before you accept an offer. I understand that most people are always desperate to get a job though.

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$4.025
As we all know that overtime is highly paid compared to the normal working rates, the boss should be honest enough for paying the overtime before I can embark on the work.

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
Personally speaking, it is fine to work overtime if you are paid. The mere fact is that we need to stick to our job responsibilities. If they are not indicated in our contracts, we do not need to do other tasks. Being busy is fine if we are productive and paid properly by our employers. As for me, both making money and spending time with my family are more important.

The most important thing is for me to be paid for the extra work that I'm doing because that is the only justification for me to agree to work extra hours.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.018
Why not I don't mind at sll working overtime to get a job done. but it it need me to work extra hours for a long period of time without pay then it is a no

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000

That's right, I agree with you. I'm fine with overtime if there's a clear extra charge, otherwise I'd rather politely decline and find excuses to get home on time.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.208
That's right, I agree with you. I'm fine with overtime if there's a clear extra charge, otherwise I'd rather politely decline and find excuses to get home on time.
I do think that it is our right to turned our boss down. Besides, there are other ways to do this. Of course, I do not want to bring the extra tasks to be done at home. It is an abusive request for the top management to ask for it.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I do think that it is our right to turned our boss down. Besides, there are other ways to do this. Of course, I do not want to bring the extra tasks to be done at home. It is an abusive request for the top management to ask for it.

If an employee takes part of a work assignment home to do at home, does he or she get paid extra or is it counted as overtime? I've never experienced anything like this so I don't know.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$2.208
The most important thing is for me to be paid for the extra work that I'm doing because that is the only justification for me to agree to work extra hours.
I learned that in Canada, we can file a formal case against our employers if they insist to do other tasks, which are not included in the contract. It is a venue for us to voice out our rights about this concern.
Post automatically merged:

I don't think I Iike the overtime of a thing. It is not just work that someone has to do in a given day. There are other things that needs to be done as a person. I have never accepted to work overtime.
As much as possible, I would not want to be in such a situation. I do not want to work in a pro bono. It is not in my vocabulary to be in this way. I will just let others do who wanted to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Sophie

Unfamiliar
Apr 28, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Some workers are not given the privilege to say no to there boss and I think it's wrong.
If it's not covenent I think a worker should have the right to say no

IB D

Notable
Jan 6, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I am not a person that likes to pretend over anything. I would ask my boss what is in it for me if I do the overtime. Nothing goes for nothing.

Sanjeev

Well Known
Sep 23, 2022
Dex
$0.390
Raw Dex
$0.023
Here the workers are paid for the overtime but we (the staff) work extra hours even if it's not in our contract or even if we are not paid for the overtime. Here most industries have such a trend. You can say it's exploitation but we have to do it because we require the job.

Back