Talking About Salary: Acceptable or Not

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.558
I have no business doing this with anyone. I don't even think that it is proper to discuss such with your co-workers, it is better to keep it away from people

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Some people approach work as if they are running a cult. What is bad to talk about salary? We even fight for increment of salary together in my workplace. We have meetings on salary increment.
I am not sure why people find it bad to chat about salary, I was brought up not to share, hence when I got my Saturday job while at school my mum told me not to share things like that as it wasn't anyone elses's business, so my friends at school thought I was on a mega low wage and didn't want to share, it caused a rift, but was scared of my mum and I knew if I told them I would drop myself in it at home and then be told, told you not to share things like that (have a lot of hang ups like that, but not to share in this thread/post), and that was more scary.
If you have read another post of mine on here you will see that because I didn't discuss with my fellow saturday workers I missed out on a age pay rise that the pay office had missed

Even after typing the above I think it is still our own personal choice to share, we must only share information about anything that we are happy to share

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$9.000
Raw Dex
$0.915
There is no problem talking about salary but if the person's intention is to compare or gather data then it might be unethical. Others see the comparison through the pay slip.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.558
Yeah it is good to always pay attention to the reasons why people is asking for some information if it is for good then no issue bit mot when it is about competition

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$9.000
Raw Dex
$0.915
Yeah it is good to always pay attention to the reasons why people is asking for some information if it is for good then no issue bit mot when it is about competition
I have not done it in my life asking or chatting about the salary. It's showing and inferiority complex. After learning that others have higher salary than the other, I am so sure that employee feels so insecure and down. It's better to mind each others business.

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I have not done it in my life asking or chatting about the salary. It's showing and inferiority complex. After learning that others have higher salary than the other, I am so sure that employee feels so insecure and down. It's better to mind each others business.
Also agree with you.
I have done jobs and been very closed up with what salary I have been paid, thought they wanted to know for other reasons, didn't trust them so Just said very nicely that that was a topic of converation I didn't feel comfy with, and like the British we are we moved on to a safe topic of the weather!!!

Heatman

Team Lead
Jun 14, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.020
That is so true.
I have been underpaid in the past and this was a very good way to find out things like this

The simple truth is that no one likes it when they are underpaid but unfortunately when you're working in the private sector it is going to be something that happens commonly.

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$9.000
Raw Dex
$0.915
Also agree with you.
I have done jobs and been very closed up with what salary I have been paid, thought they wanted to know for other reasons, didn't trust them so Just said very nicely that that was a topic of converation I didn't feel comfy with, and like the British we are we moved on to a safe topic of the weather!!!
That was a wise idea to convert the topic. Talking about a salary could be frustrating to those whose salary is below poverty line. It's better for them to upgrade their level to have something to boast.

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Discussing about the salary issues with colleagues at work is not something bad. Workers do so among themselves. During the discussions, latest developments do arise up. And what is so confidential about salary issues?.

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
The simple truth is that no one likes it when they are underpaid but unfortunately when you're working in the private sector it is going to be something that happens commonly.
It was nice when it got backdated, quite a bit to put in my savings account even from a Saturday job in the 1970's.
I'm sure they may have noticed at sometime. She says wishfully
It was £5 for a day's work, 8.30am to 5pm, 3 breaks and as it was a cafe you didn't have to pay for the food you eat
Post automatically merged:

That was a wise idea to convert the topic. Talking about a salary could be frustrating to those whose salary is below poverty line. It's better for them to upgrade their level to have something to boast.
Also in a company people will have different roles and jobs and will be paid different salary's.
It is just the way of life, but everyone has good skills to make a company run smoothly, and everyone is as just as important from the cleaner to the top man in the office.
I had a full time job, worked more hours then hubby and got a lot less salary as he has a skilled job with his company which he has been with over 30 years and my job was a very unskilled job

Sometimes it is hard to upgrade your level at work for many reasons

Last edited:

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$9.000
Raw Dex
$0.915
It was nice when it got backdated, quite a bit to put in my savings account even from a Saturday job in the 1970's.
I'm sure they may have noticed at sometime. She says wishfully
It was £5 for a day's work, 8.30am to 5pm, 3 breaks and as it was a cafe you didn't have to pay for the food you eat

Also in a company people will have different roles and jobs and will be paid different salary's.
It is just the way of life, but everyone has good skills to make a company run smoothly, and everyone is as just as important from the cleaner to the top man in the office.
I had a full time job, worked more hours then hubby and got a lot less salary as he has a skilled job with his company which he has been with over 30 years and my job was a very unskilled job

Sometimes it is hard to upgrade your level at work for many reasons
That is right, not all can upgrade their salary scale like pursuing a master's degree course and a postgraduate course or licensing your course. The salary is based on the employee's qualifications. It is good to sacrifice for the sake of fulfilling our dreams.

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
That is right, not all can upgrade their salary scale like pursuing a master's degree course and a postgraduate course or licensing your course. The salary is based on the employee's qualifications. It is good to sacrifice for the sake of fulfilling our dreams.
I talk to all people at work regardless of there ranking.

Always say hello to the cleaner as I go into work as she is always mopping the floors or just finished cleaning the toilets, although her English isn't that good she always says hello back, one day she said thank you for speaking to her every morning, as a lot of people just walk by as if she is invisible and never even smile at her. I replied well if you weren't here who is going to clean toilets and fill paper towels holders up etc

hastral45

Notable
Sep 16, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It is the aspiration of most workers especially the junior ones. Salary in most big brands is based on qualifications. But in manufacturing companies, the factory workers are paid based on skills acquisition.

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$9.000
Raw Dex
$0.915
I talk to all people at work regardless of there ranking.

Always say hello to the cleaner as I go into work as she is always mopping the floors or just finished cleaning the toilets, although her English isn't that good she always says hello back, one day she said thank you for speaking to her every morning, as a lot of people just walk by as if she is invisible and never even smile at her. I replied well if you weren't here who is going to clean toilets and fill paper towels holders up etc
Agree with you, there are workers who never care about people with low statuses at work. In my workplace, I even call the janitors and guards " Sir". They smile sweetly at me as if so ashamed to be called that way. But that is respect.

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It is the aspiration of most workers especially the junior ones. Salary in most big brands is based on qualifications. But in manufacturing companies, the factory workers are paid based on skills acquisition.
I agree.
I am classed as an unskilled worker or semi skilled worker, but to do any job in the world however minal it may be you still have to learn how to do the job, and that is a skill, so really that term should not be used
I only work very part time in a factory checking and packing peppers and tomatoes, there is quite a skill in getting the right amount in the punnet etc.
I often laugh with the quality checkers and our floor bosses that can we change jobs for a day as all they seem to do is walk around the factory, check some of the stock, make sure we are working properly. I do know that there is far more to their jobs but that what it sometimes seems to us while we are working hard packing the orders. It is hard work and sometimes we have to work very fast for basic pay.

Agree with you, there are workers who never care about people with low statuses at work. In my workplace, I even call the janitors and guards " Sir". They smile sweetly at me as if so ashamed to be called that way. But that is respect.
That is true its respect, and you never know when we will need the services of these people at work, and if we treat them with respect then they will be more willing to come and help us, rather than make us wait for the help.
As you said it is a two way thing, many people still don't realize this in the workplace.

(Off topic, as I don't know where to put it. I'm on a $1.?? Feeling chuffed, must be getting faster on here. Hope you are a proud mother hen, as you were the first person who chatted to me. Keep going at this rate as I must be getting a little bit faster every day I will soon reach a payout. Thank you for all your help etc)

Discussing about the salary issues with colleagues at work is not something bad. Workers do so among themselves. During the discussions, latest developments do arise up. And what is so confidential about salary issues?.
I have no idea, some places it is a topic just like talking about the weather or what you had for your tea last night.
We often compare wages at work, we all work different because it depends on how many days they give us as the work has to be shared round when the stock and orders are low

Last edited:

Starmix

Very Familiar
Sep 2, 2022
Dex
$9.000
Raw Dex
$0.915
You will surely reach your payout the soonest the better. I claimed my $ 32 last week, and it was so fast. You spend one hour here on RIf and always log in every morning in your country for there is a log-in bonus.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
As for colleagues, it is better not to talk about salary. As for if he is a job applicant, then it is permissible for him to ask what the salary range they will get if they work there, unless it has been stated in the job vacancy information.

astutimeliana723

Notable
Feb 23, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
I also hate people asking me about my salary, what for? To prove that my salary is better than theirs,? I never chat with my co-workers reading salary. It is unethical for me.
That's right, usually when people know our salary is high. Just get ready they will often ask us for money for something that is not important. Even though we also have our own needs and desires.

Back