Talking About Salary: Acceptable or Not

relcap23

Notable
Sep 8, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Personally speaking, I am not open to talking about the salary with my co-workers. It is a personal thing to keep and should be in confidential. I used to have colleagues who asked me this. I politely turned them down because it is not a good thing to talk about. If they have concerns like this, they can just talk to the Human Resource personnel about it.
Our salary is public knowledge. The salary scale is listed in payroll form where everyone in that list knows. We are paid according to salary grade so one can determine just by knowing the salary grade. When I worked with the private sector there is more confidentiality because our salary is individually paid out in a voucher.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$2.120
Raw Dex
$0.010
Yes I think this is a personal thing if talking about your salary is okay by you, then go ahead so that you know about whatever you want to know about

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Our salary is public knowledge. The salary scale is listed in payroll form where everyone in that list knows. We are paid according to salary grade so one can determine just by knowing the salary grade. When I worked with the private sector there is more confidentiality because our salary is individually paid out in a voucher.
I have never heard of that before

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$3.810
I am not sure with the word public knowledge that you are referring to. It is open to people who are in-charge in payroll. It should be confidential at all cost and not to be shared with co-workers.

Etini Willie

Notable
Nov 22, 2022
Dex
$0.005
Raw Dex
$0.010
I am not sure with the word public knowledge that you are referring to. It is open to people who are in-charge in payroll. It should be confidential at all cost and not to be shared with co-workers.
It depends on how the work environment is structured. If it is a closely knitted work environment, it is not wrong to know each other's salaries. Generally, it is not necessary.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$3.810
It depends on how the work environment is structured. If it is a closely knitted work environment, it is not wrong to know each other's salaries. Generally, it is not necessary.
I got it. I assumed that small-scale businesses usually know the salary range of every employee, especially in manufacturing companies. It is normal for them to know this. For the reason that they have the same level in working in this kind of situation.

Shavkat

Well Known
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2022
Dex
$0.140
Raw Dex
$3.810
It is true that within an establishment that they are just 8- 10 staff, they would be close relationships which would make these kind of things not to be secrets.
Although it is not healthy thing to be asked. Even if I am working in a small-scale company, I will refuse to say about it. It is how I wanted to have my privacy with these people. I had experienced this before but refused to say something about it politely.

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
Although it is not healthy thing to be asked. Even if I am working in a small-scale company, I will refuse to say about it. It is how I wanted to have my privacy with these people. I had experienced this before but refused to say something about it politely.
People in work places regardless of the size should respect people's wishes and we share only what we want to share

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$6.218
For me I don't seem any reason as to why we shouldn't talk about the salary matters in the workplace. In my previous job the boss used to pay the all workers the same salary except for the manager and the supervisor.

arunima

Notable
Nov 28, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.340
Salary is personal and confidential. Not everyone will be comfortable discussing it with others at work or in other places. It's a personal choice. And people who are inquisitive to know should respect that. They should not force to talk about it. Once politely denied, they should accept the decision and respect it.

Susye

Somewhat Known
Apr 24, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
For me I don't seem any reason as to why we shouldn't talk about the salary matters in the workplace. In my previous job the boss used to pay the all workers the same salary except for the manager and the supervisor.
Hope that they all did the same amount of work for the same money and that nobody slacked off
Post automatically merged:

This thread is a very interesting read as I think we may have half and half on here, half for knowing and half for not discussing with fellow work mates.

I am really enjoying reading all the different reasons, none of them are wrong reasons at all, but didn't realize that there would be so many different reason for for and against sharing.

Thank you very much friends for a good read and opening my eyes to many different views

relcap23

Notable
Sep 8, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
You know that employers are always looking for a little avenue to cheat their employees so you need to be very clear on the terms of payment for your wage.
Our salary scale in the government is regulated by law so we're assured that there will not be cheating.
Post automatically merged:

[/QUOTE

Our salary is not confidential, it's the same across all towns under a category and salary level. For example an employee for second class municipality for a salary grade 24 is the same throughout the nation. If your municipality is first class you will have the same rate with same class municipality and. by public knowledge because it is posted, and anyone can searched for it.

Last edited:

Samuzor

Complete Stranger
May 20, 2023
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
It actually depends, for the employees, it's beneficial cause they may know if they are cheated on, and things like that, but for the employers, they don't allow it, They have their reasons for this.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$2.120
Raw Dex
$0.010
Sure this seems to benefits the employees most so it is in the place of the workers to always find out this , it's beneficial cause they may know if they are cheated on,

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
You are not stealing a living but you are actually working for it. It is not out of place to talk about your salary. Unless you think you are not offering enough value.

cherry123

Very Familiar
Sep 5, 2022
Dex
$2.120
Raw Dex
$0.010
I talk about my salary always with my would-be employers.. When once you know your worth and you are offering enough value then you should ask for the right compensation as salary

Stardom22

Well Known
Sep 1, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$6.218
ln the previous company that I used to work in, staffs were categorised into different departments. Salaries also matched with the departments. For instance every stuff in the same department had the same salaries and bonuses.

Niyi Briggs

Well Known
Nov 27, 2022
Dex
$0.000
Raw Dex
$0.000
People coming to work for an organization didn't come to play. They come because they want to be paid so that they can eke out a living. And they must talk about their salaries with their bosses.

Back